When it comes to renovating the exterior of your house few projects can provide you the pay-back of window replacement. Attractive quality replacement windows will not only rejuvenate the look of an otherwise tired looking home, it will also save on your energy bill and increase the re-sell value of your home. What You Should Know When Shopping for Replacement Windows:
Determine how many windows need to be replaced. It may be the entire house or just a section that needs done.
- Decide on a budget. Different sizes and shapes of windows will affect the cost of the window itself and the installation. Replacement windows vary widely in price. Before heading out to shop you will need to know exactly how much you can afford to spend on this project.
- Choose the right time of year for the project. Because the old windows will be totally removed, your house will be open for brief periods of time. Deciding to have the windows replaced in the middle of winter in northern areas of the country is not a good plan. Spring or fall months are generally mild and good for this type of home improvement.
- Check out the energy ratings and insulation on various windows. The type of framing is also important since it will determine how much maintenance is required. Wood is beautiful, but vinyl might be the better option if you don’t want to worry about maintaining window frames.
- Get more than one estimate on the cost. Ensure you can compare companies by getting a breakdown on the estimates for materials, labor and any costs of disposing of the old windows.
- Ask about all of the different windows the company offers. Most companies run various promotions, but the windows they are featuring may be outside of your budget constraints. Asking about all of your options can get you the windows you need, without breaking the bank.
- Replacement windows come with warranties. Make sure you get the specifics such as if the warranty can be transferred if you sell your home, and how long the warranty will remain in effect.It is always a good idea to check on a company with the Better Business Bureau. Replacement windows are a major investment so take your time making a decision; new windows will influence the exterior appeal of your home, have an effect on lighting and increase the value of your home.