Thanksgiving 2020 Will Look And Feel Different, But We Still Have So Much To Be Thankful For
To say 2020 has been tumultuous and challenging is an understatement. But underneath our new way of living, we still have so much to be thankful for. It may be easy to focus on our new way of life and only see the negatives, but when you look for the positives you will see they are plentiful.
A different Thanksgiving
This Thanksgiving, although we are being encouraged not to have large family gatherings, it doesn’t mean we can’t give thanks for what we have. We can still keep the festive vibe by decorating as we normally would with fall decor, and bringing out the holiday dinnerware that we are accustomed to. Enjoy the feast that you prepare each year.
We can still have a safe and happy Thanksgiving by following simple rules:
Wearing a mask when in the presence of others
Keeping a safe distance of 6 feet from others
Washing your hands frequently
Using hand sanitizer often
Wiping down surfaces
We may not be sitting shoulder to shoulder at the dinner table, but we will surely appreciate each other’s company more than in years past.
Let’s take a look at the positives
If you are struggling to find things to be thankful for as you gather around the table, here’s a list to pick from:
- We hear on the news every day that several Covid vaccines are close to being available. This is what we’ve all been hoping for this year, and finally, it looks like our restraints will be loosened soon.
- We are no longer on full lockdown. While there are limitations to what we can do, most activities have reopened with social distancing in place.
- Restaurants are open again, although with limited capacity. We can even order online from restaurants and get it through curbside pickup.
- Food and supplies are plentiful again and not being rationed out or completely unavailable.
Who can forget the great toilet paper scare of 2020?
- Groceries can be delivered to our door within hours. We are lucky that we can get the thanksgiving themed food to help us feel closer to normal-turkey and all the fixings!
“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”-Melody Beattie
- We now know that masks DO work and that social distancing allows us to partake in many of our favorite things, such as being with our friends and loved ones as well as getting our hair/nails done.
- Healthcare, frontline and essential workers are receiving the appreciation and recognition they so deserve.
- Masks and protective wear/equipment are available. We no longer need to panic about shortages, and they’ve become the new normal. We wear our face masks (some blinged out for style), automatically keep 6 feet away from others, and have our hand sanitizer at the ready.
Remember how we had to make our own masks and hand sanitizer due to shortages?
- Fresh entertainment is back. Our favorite TV shows have begun shooting new seasons, and we can cheer on our favorite sports teams again.
- We’ve learned how to better treat Covid and how to properly protect ourselves from catching the virus.
We’re all in this together, and if we think back to where we were when the year started-we’ve come a long way. Look out 2021-here we come!