July 4th is More Than a Grilling Holiday
Independence Day isn’t just an excuse for a three-day weekend.
The Fourth of July is America’s chance to celebrate the birth of our country.
It’s a celebration of freedom commemorating the passage of the Declaration of Independence, which proclaims that all men and women are created equal, and all Americans have the right to “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
While we may be eager for traditional summer activities, it’s important to remember why and what we are celebrating. If you have children, it’s an excellent opportunity for a history lesson.
Here Are Some Ways You Can Observe Our Country’s Independence:
- Raise a flag or decorate your event with patriotic items, but make sure you observe proper flag etiquette
- Watch or participate in a patriotic parade. Check your local listings for a parade near you.
- Enjoy the fireworks. Independence Day wouldn’t be complete without fireworks! Either watch a fireworks event or enjoy your own. If you can’t watch them live, you can stream them. For example, the Macy’s Fourth of July and Washington DC’s fireworks shows will be streamed live on TV for your viewing. Don’t forget the sparklers! But keep it safe and follow your local guidelines that are in place.
- Salute our troops, and thank veterans for their service. You can prepare “Thank You” notes ahead of time and give them to service members you see while out.
- Sing patriotic songs with the kids. The big three are The Star-Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, and This Land is Your Land.
- Attend a flag-raising ceremony. If there isn’t a local event for you to attend, you can view them online.
- Host a backyard BBQ. Gather with your family and friends around the grill and enjoy a summer feast. Popular items are grilled meat, watermelon, potato salad, corn on the cob, lemonade, and chips and dip.
- Make festive desserts and drinks. You can make desserts using red, white, and blue, such as Angel food cake with whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries, or vanilla and strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Decorate your cakes/cupcakes with red, white, and blue icing or sprinkles. Some great summer drinks are mojitos, rum punch, and rosé spritzers.
- Enjoy a picnic in the park. Don’t forget the bug spray as well as SPF if you’re out during the day.
- Show a movie in your backyard. If you don’t have an outdoor screen, that’s ok! Hang a sheet on the fence or wall and enjoy a movie in the privacy and comfort of your backyard. Kick off your shoes and continue enjoying the food from your BBQ.
Tags: Independence Day, July 4th, Fourth of July, American Flag, Patriotic Parade, fireworks, Salute our troops, Thank Veterans, Birth of our Country, Celebration of Freedom, Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness,