Helpful Self Storage Tips For First Time Renters
If you’ve never rented a storage unit before, rest assured, they are a great option to keep your belongings safely put away. Whether you’re in the process of moving, you’ve downsized your living arrangements, renovating an area of your home, need a spot for your seasonal items, or you just have too much stuff, self storage units are the solution.
What Should You Look For When Searching For a Self Storage Facility?
Don’t blindly sign a contract for a self storage unit without considering your needs first. Here are some things to review:
- Size options. One size does not fit all. To estimate how much space you need, Access Self Storage provides this handy space estimator and size guide
- Climate controlled. This protects your belongings from extreme temperatures, mold, mildew, and humidity. And how do you spell humidity? That’s right-T.E.X.A.S
- Safety (security cameras, gates, alarms, lighting)
- Contract terms. Do you need month to month or long term
- Accessibility. Do the opening hours meet your needs
- Do they provide access to equipment like dollies or carts
Tips For Storing Your Items
- If you have items that you plan on accessing more often, store those up front and within easy access
- Disassemble furniture, so it takes up less room
- Label, label, label!
- Seal boxes and containers to protect from dust
- Don’t store heavy items on mattresses or sofas, as the weight can cause the furniture to lose shape
- Don’t overfill your unit. Leave yourself space to walk in and access your items
- Last but not least, purchase a storage/rental insurance plan through your insurer
If you’re in Dallas, TX, and considering self storage, we are happy to announce Access Self Storage, a Consumers’ Choice Award multi-year award winner, due to their commitment to quality and service. They have 8 locations across TX and provide a wide range of options such as climate-controlled units, truck rentals, and 24/7 security monitoring and access, making them your one-stop moving and storage solution.