You may not need to knock down a wall or pay for a major renovation after all. Paint is a powerful, budget-friendly tool for making changes to your home.
Certain paint colors, combinations, and how the paint is applied can fool the eye into believing your room is larger, taller, and even wider than it is.
Tips on Changing the Space of a Room With Paint
Painting a room isn’t just about adding color; it has the power to influence moods, creates ambiance, and yes, even alters the perceived dimensions.
1. Enlarge a small space
If you have a room that feels too small for your liking, you don’t have to take drastic measures for more space. Instead, use the power of paint in the following ways for the desired effect:
- Use pale, light colors or even white to make a room appear larger than it is.
- Use the same color on your walls, the trim, doors, as well as ceiling.
- It’s also helpful to use the same color on the walls of adjoining rooms to further expand the effect. Light colors and soft tones can add an airy and open appearance.
2. Add height to a room
There are several ways that the right paint combination can make a room look taller.
- Use white or a light color for the ceiling and a dark color for the walls. The lighter color will naturally draw attention upwards.
- Paint vertical stripes to draw the eye upward for a taller appearance.
- Extend the paint of the ceiling down a few inches.
- Paint the trim the same color as your walls as it creates a streamlined effect and avoids the obvious cutoff made from contrasting colors.
3. Make a narrow room appear wider
You can create a wider appearance with a two-tone technique. Paint the ceiling and the bottom half of the walls white (or a white hue of your liking). Use a dark color for the upper half of the walls.
Paint horizontal stripes of the same width for an expanding illusion.
Count on the Experts
Consumers Choice Award is happy to announce three award-winning painting companies that their customers selected due to the impressive levels of quality and service they provide:
Phillips Home Improvements. Servicing the Dallas-Fort Worth area. They’ve been in business for over 20 years and offer additional home services to meet your needs.
Atlanta Painting Company. Servicing the Atlanta Metropolitan area. They are multi-year award winners and one of the largest residential painting companies in the Atlanta area.
Color World Housepainting. Servicing Ohio residents in the Columbus and Powell areas. They’ve been in business for over 20 years and offer a variety of award-winning services to their customers.
The design teams for these Consumers’ Choice Award winners are skilled at using color techniques such as using the right color combinations and the placement of color. With so many painting methods and options to choose from, count on the experts to do it right!